This stone vessel is made of anorthosite gneiss and has a diameter of 15cm. It was found at Coptos and dates from the Early Dynastic-Early Old Kingdom.
It seems to have been collected by Mrs Berens. Randolph Humphery Berens, née McLaughlin (1844-1922), was a vicar of Sidcup Place . He took the name Berens on his marriage in 1877 with Eleanor Frances Berens. Her wealth enabled him to travel and collect antiquities. She also collected. His collection was sold in Sotheby’s on 18th June 1923. His wife’s collection was sold on 29th July 1923 and 31st July 1923 (Bierbrier 1995, 42-43). Since this item was sold on 31st July, it therefore comes from Mrs Berens collection. The Centre has at least 19 items which come from both the Berens collections.
There is a picture in the museum collection showing the piece broken. At sometime in the recent past (1971-1997) the vessel has been mended but two pieces were not included in the reconstruction. These were found separate to the vessel in the museum stores in 2000.
Bierbrier, M. 1995. Who was Who in Egyptology. London : Egypt Exploration Society.