This stone bowl is made of breccia and has a rim diameter of 32cm. It has a flat bottom and incurved square rim. A self adhesive label has the number ‘138’ upon it. It dates from Dynasty 1-4 (3100-2494BC). Such vessels would have come from elite graves.
It seems to have been collected by Mrs Berens. Randolph Humphery Berens, née McLaughlin (1844-1922), was a vicar of Sidcup Place. He took the name Berens on his marriage in 1877 with Eleanor Frances Berens. Her wealth enabled him to travel and collect antiquities. She also collected. His collection was sold in Sotheby’s on 18th June 1923. His wife’s collection was sold on 29th July 1923 and 31st July 1923 (Bierbrier 1995, 42-43). Since this item was sold on 31st July, it therefore comes from Mrs Berens collection. The Centre has at least 19 items which come from both the Berens collections.