Blue glazed lining tile from a chamber in the Djoser Step Pyramid at Saqqara.
These are associated with a note written by Henry Wellcome dated 8.9.1895. The note states that they were taken to Berlin by Lipsius and presented to MacGregor by the Berlin Museum, They are included in Maspero’s Egyptian Art and Archaeology. As part of MacGregor collection they were sold at auction 1922 to Wellcome.
One is deep blue and measures 25x53x2.5mm. The other is red/brown and measures 16x58x2.5mm.
The Djoser step pyramid used some 36,000 blue-green glazed tiles measuring about 6x4cms. The tiles were threaded on copper wires and set in rows in plaster to form a panelling imitating hangings of reed mat.